You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Boom - A Return To Supersonic Travel?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 Dec 17, 13:02Post
Boom, the start-up proposing to build a supersonic airliner, have received an MOU for 20 aircraft and a $10m investment from JAL:

https://boomsupersonic.com/jal-press-release/

Japan Airlines and Boom Announce Partnership for Supersonic Air Travel

Tokyo, Japan and Denver, Colorado - Dec. 5, 2017 - Japan Airlines (JAL) and Boom Supersonic are pleased to announce a strategic partnership to bring commercial supersonic travel to passengers.

While new and advanced technologies are changing our lives significantly, flight times for air travel have stayed relatively constant. Boom is developing a new-generation supersonic aircraft, which flies at Mach 2.2 and will cut flight times in half. Through this agreement, JAL will provide its knowledge and experience as an airline to support Boom in developing the aircraft.

As part of the agreement, JAL has made a strategic investment of USD 10 million in Boom and is collaborating with the company to refine the aircraft design and help define the passenger experience for supersonic travel. JAL also has the option to purchase up to 20 Boom aircraft through a pre-order arrangement. The two companies will cooperate closely to realize faster and more convenient air travel.

Are we actually going to see this thing fly? I'm still skeptical but JAL obviously think it's worth a gamble.
A million great ideas...

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Dec 17, 17:08Post
As much as I like to cheer on "hometown" projects, I don't think they'll get this thing into commercial service. The prototype/tech demonstrator will probably take flight but, beyond that, I don't see the company surviving.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
DAL764 06 Dec 17, 18:45Post
Huh, certainly didn't expect JAL to be behind the 20-plane MOU. Makes sense from their perspective though, since they probably want to use them from HND rather than NRT and take advantage of HND being close to Tokyo's financial district and being limited-access for competing US carriers. At the same time, if HND NIMBYs were to complain about the noise of the plane (if it won't fly supersonic over land) and JAL were forced to operate from NRT, it could easily spell financial disaster for them.
"I mean, we're in a galaxy far, far away, and we still have to change in Atlanta" (Stewie Griffin as Darth Vader)
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 07 Dec 17, 00:12Post
I take it they haven't found anyone yet that is willing to try to invent their magic supercruise capable, export allowed, 20,000lb dry thrust engines yet?

The airframe isn't the hard part or this technical challenge.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Dec 17, 18:06Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:I take it they haven't found anyone yet that is willing to try to invent their magic supercruise capable, export allowed, 20,000lb dry thrust engines yet?

The airframe isn't the hard part or this technical challenge.

My thoughts exactly. Boom are noticeably vague about the powerplants for their design and are using three old Learjet engines for the XB-1 'Baby Boom' (really) technology demonstrator. There was talk of them acquiring some fighter engines of undisclosed origin but surely fuel burn and noise regs would rule those out?
A million great ideas...
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 08 Dec 17, 17:59Post
I'll take the bet. I say this thing flies, makes it to production, and somebody somewhere will run one or more profitable routes with it. My guess is that Boom secure some licensed tech like NASA's "Quiet Spike" and likely some prototype level propulsion tech, and we already know that materials today are lighter, cheaper, and stronger than Concorde-era materials, etc...

Total sideline speculation, since I haven't seen any specifics about targeted list prices or operating CASM, but I see both Branson's and JAL's investments as positives that there must be something to the numbers to make publicly floated companies throw down some dough to back the effort. I'm positively curious at the very least.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

The BA Source