You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

That New Airbus Plane

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jun 19, 12:13Post
I have been seeing a lot of news about airlines ordering the A321XLR.

Does Boeing have a competitive product there? And am I correct in assuming that the A321XLR has little overlap with the B38M?

Please forgive my ignorance.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Jun 19, 14:01Post
Believe the Airbus is a bit larger than the 8.

Competing more with the likes of the 737-9 and 737-10 (which still hasn't flown yet but has orders for over 200).

These are all...still...poor man's attempts at a 757 replacement.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jun 19, 15:51Post
Lucas wrote:Does Boeing have a competitive product there?

Not at the moment, though there is talk of a completely new 757-esque offering from Boeing currently under the project name 'NMA' but expected be the 797. The closest available to order from Boeing is the 737MAX-10 which carries 40 less pax and can't come within 1000 miles of the A321XLR's max range.

GQfluffy wrote:These are all...still...poor man's attempts at a 757 replacement.

Except the A321XLR can fly 700 miles beyond the 752's maximum range with the same number of pax while burning at least 30% less fuel. The 757 was never capable of flying most Trans-Pacific routes, the new A321 will specifically target those markets. The neo variant A32X also get off the ground with a lot more gusto than Airbus' classic offering. The 757 was great in it's time but is a thirsty dinosaur by today's standards.
A million great ideas...
Mark 21 Jun 19, 16:29Post
If I let my anxiety level about Boeing's failure to adequately address the 757 replacement issue bother me, I'd be biting my nails constantly. And that would be hard to do, since I wear dentures. They're trying to dick around with the 737 to compete with the A321 versions. It's not gonna work. And it's not working. Simple as that. They need a whole new airframe with a tall landing gear that can accomodate the latest-generation engines needed to pull the load.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Jun 19, 16:15Post
JLAmber wrote:Except the A321XLR can fly 700 miles beyond the 752's maximum range with the same number of pax while burning at least 30% less fuel. The 757 was never capable of flying most Trans-Pacific routes, the new A321 will specifically target those markets. The neo variant A32X also get off the ground with a lot more gusto than Airbus' classic offering. The 757 was great in it's time but is a thirsty dinosaur by today's standards.

I didn't know any of the specs; I'm just being a Murican fan boy who loves the 757 rocket take off. :))

Curious though, does the A321XLR-Spaghetti have similar cargo capacity, or is that just another myth we like to make up?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jun 19, 22:24Post
GQfluffy wrote:Curious though, does the A321XLR-Spaghetti have similar cargo capacity, or is that just another myth we like to make up?

Speaking as pax aircraft carrying cargo downstairs...

752 and A321XLR have identical internal cabin length (despite the 752 being 8.5' larger in total). The A321XLR has a maximum internal cabin diameter 7" larger than the 752, meaning that the A321XLR accommodates the same number of ULDs and can accommodate some larger loose freight items that the 752 cannot, but is expected to have around 1700kg less payload capability than a 752.

So, for the vast majority of cargo requirements, there's nothing to choose between the two. For some unusually dense palletised items, the 752 has the edge. For the occasional oversized requirement the A321XLR wins out.

As dedicated freighters, I doubt we'll ever see the two in service side-by-side but you never know, stranger things have happened.
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 25 Jun 19, 14:20Post
This is coming from a Yank that actually prefers Airbii narrowbodies...

The 757 will be beyond worn out by the time the A321XLRs show up on freight routes. IF, they do, that is.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 25 Jun 19, 19:05Post
GQfluffy wrote:The 757 will be beyond worn out by the time the A321XLRs show up on freight routes.

The crew that parks the last airworthy 757 in the desert will be flown home on a chartered DC-9. :)) {laugh}
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Jun 19, 16:49Post
bravoa.png
bravoa.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 302 times
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jun 19, 20:22Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
GQfluffy wrote:The 757 will be beyond worn out by the time the A321XLRs show up on freight routes.

The crew that parks the last airworthy 757 in the desert will be flown home on a chartered DC-9. :)) {laugh}

There was a display at the Paris Air Show from a company who have some very neat ideas about large-scale adaptation of retiring airliners into freight dogs. Because the 752 is unique in that it punches above its weight in hauling capability, has a robust spares network and is relatively affordable as a used airframe, they were predicting the last 757 flight will occur after 2035. I have a bet going with their CEO that, if there are still 757s flying then (and we're both still alive), he will fix it for me to fly one 50 years after my first 757 flight.
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jul 19, 01:21Post
Thank you all for the information. Seems like this plane is really opening up new route possibilities.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!