You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

TUI: Seating Optional

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 11:40Post
A family returning from holiday found they had no seats once they had boarded their plane and spent part of the flight sitting on the floor.

Despite having boarding passes, the Taylor family found empty spaces where their seats should have been.

The family, from Alcester, Warwickshire, had paid £1,300 and were flying from Mahon in Menorca to Birmingham with TUI airlines.

The Civil Aviation Authority is looking into the matter.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46858249
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 12:18Post
Probably a Thomson 752. The family of 3 got a spare seat for the daughter and galley jumpseats for takeoff and landing for the parents.

The crew may even have been within the regulations when they allowed the family to stay on board. The aircraft was not over capacity, and everybody had a safe seat.

Question is if the crew insisted on the parents getting out of their jumpseats when they started the service preparations, or just kindly asked them to consider it as a courtesy.

Even if no law or regulation was broken, this is certainly not what you'd expect when you book a flight, and 30 quid as a compensation offer is ridiculous. Still, I guess this was an isolated incident.

Let's just hope it won't give Ryanair any funny ideas...
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 13:02Post
Zak wrote:Let's just hope it won't give Ryanair any funny ideas...

Like this:

And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
airtrainer 15 Jan 19, 17:36Post
I hope it happen on my next flight, I'll gladly take the jumpseat :))
Sir, would you like chicken or pasta ?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 15 Jan 19, 18:46Post
Yeah, the crew should be fired. At least the Captain anyway. While they were seated in approved seating for take-off and landing, what would have happened should they have encountered turbulence?

The airline should be fined, heavily, as well.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 19:24Post
That depends. If the crew forced them to leave the jumpseats during the flight, then yeah, they did not have a safe seat during the flight.

If they left their seats voluntarily, to make it easier for the crew to prepare the onboard service, then no law or regulation may have been violated. It's not prohibited to get up and stay in the aisle (or a row of removed seats) during the flight.

Granted, the airline did screw things up here. But they may still have been within the legal requirements.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 19:27Post
If the passengers were in the jump seats, where were the FAs sitting for take-off and landing? I assume they have to be in the cabin and couldn't be in the cockpit jump seat, and it sounds as if the passengers concerned weren't in the cockpit either. Are there spare jump seats?
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
paul mcallister 15 Jan 19, 19:42Post
What ever happened to that old health and safety chestnut " NO SEAT,NO RIDE "
Captain should have requested 3 pax to offer these 3 their seats,and be booked on a later flight with compensation.

Where did the cabin crew sit for takeoff and landing? As mentioned by others,if they had encountered turbulence,those 3 people would have been chucked about like rag dolls.
Assuming the buck stops with the captain for allowing this,he/she is in serious ploop most likely.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 Jan 19, 22:19Post
From several posts on social media from knowledgeable folk, there were seats in that space but they had been removed for some essential mx and the aircraft had been pressed back into service with the seats still missing due to a delay with the aircraft furnishing contractor (not unusual in my experience). The aircraft was then subbed in for another 752 but TUI engineering had failed to add notes informing the flight crew they were half a row light on seats.

For me the blame lies universally - with engineering for failing to notify the flight crew of an equipment issue, the cabin crew for failing to spot the glaringly obvious earlier and with the captain for not bumping pax to make sure he operated his flight safely.
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 22:47Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Are there spare jump seats?

Usually there are.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!