You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

IAD Surprises Passengers with F-R Boarding

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 11 Sep 18, 09:39Post
Surprises Passengers with Facial-Recognition Boarding

Some international travelers can leave their boarding passes and passports in their pockets when flying out of Dulles International Airport thanks to a new facial recognition boarding technology that went into operation Thursday.

The new veriScan system developed by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority—with guidance from U.S. Customs and Border Protection—scans the faces of travelers approaching the gate. The system then compares the photo to a gallery that includes images of that person—either their passport photo for U.S. citizens or the photo taken of foreign nationals when they entered the country. The process eliminates the need for an airline employee to manually check every boarding pass and passport while boarding a plane.

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Sep 18, 09:27Post
I'm amazed to see it make as much difference as the article claims. HEL uses gates with barcode scanners for some Schengen-zone flights, and everyone still stands in the jetway while someone in row 3 stuffs their bag in a seat, kids in the overhead, realises their mistake, swaps them over, sits down, remembers they left their phone in the bag in the overhead....
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
airtrainer 12 Sep 18, 14:06Post
And I read IAD surprises passengers with Ryanair boarding. Now that could be fun :))
Sir, would you like chicken or pasta ?
captoveur 13 Sep 18, 18:13Post
I was thinking Front/Rear boarding like WOW does to their prisoners passengers.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
bhmbaglock 13 Sep 18, 19:41Post
captoveur wrote:I was thinking Front/Rear boarding like WOW does to their prisoners passengers.

My first thought as well.