You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

EK Airplane Quarantined At JFK

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 05 Sep 18, 14:55Post
Plane quarantined at JFK amid reports of sick passengers

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 05 Sep 18, 15:07Post
From the article:
Eric Phillips, a spokesman for Mayor Bill de Blasio, tweeted that the flight stopped in Mecca, which is experiencing a flu outbreak, and "early indications point to that as a possibility."

Bollocks to that. Mecca doesn't even have an airport, flights to Mecca use Jeddah airport.

The aircraft in question (A380, A6-EUF) has last been in Jeddah on 25 August, but this flight definitely did not "stop" in Mecca, or anywhere else enroute.

Also, the common incubation period for influenza is 2 days. So even if some virus survived on board and infected the passengers, they would probably not have shown symptoms upon arrival already.

At best, I would imagine there were a few passengers on board, who have been in Mecca 2-3 days before flying to NYC, and may have caught the flu there.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 05 Sep 18, 17:47Post
I know a 747 captain working for Wamos currently on Hajj duties who has commented that one of the most difficult things with bringing pilgrims home is avoiding the flu themselves so it wouldn't surprise me - although up to 100 all on the same flight at the same time would seem a bit unlikely!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
fiatstilojtd 05 Sep 18, 18:44Post
Oh no, as I have already written in the Cheap Tickets thread I am currently at Amman Airport flying to Jeddah in 2 hours. 9 hours Layover in Jeddah before my next flight to Malaga.

But the offer was just too tempting. Saudia Business Class 787 with all its amenities cheaper than Ryanair/Laudamotion.
Non vitae sed scholae discimus