You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Sun Country Strands Passengers

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Mark 15 Apr 18, 20:36Post
MSP had a blizzard yesterday and it was also SY's last day of their winter holiday flying season. MSP was closed for about 7 hours and many inbound flights were cancelled. There are reported passengers in tropical areas who cannot get back to the MSP hub. And it sounds like SY didn't try very hard to help them out with booking on other carriers. Couldn't SY just ferry a few planes to pick up the stranded customers?

http://www.kare11.com/article/news/sun- ... -538734465

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

MrGavin 15 Apr 18, 23:00Post
Not from their own fleet. It's maxed out in current operations.

But yes, they basically stranded folks. Simple as that. Absolutely crazy.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 18, 02:45Post
Mark wrote:MSP had a blizzard yesterday and it was also SY's last day of their winter holiday flying season. MSP was closed for about 7 hours and many inbound flights were cancelled. There are reported passengers in tropical areas who cannot get back to the MSP hub. And it sounds like SY didn't try very hard to help them out with booking on other carriers. Couldn't SY just ferry a few planes to pick up the stranded customers?

http://www.kare11.com/article/news/sun- ... -538734465

You get what you pay for. . . . . . I'll stick with AS/AA in F. Thanks though.
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
bhmbaglock 16 Apr 18, 12:44Post
This is the kind of customer service disaster that can and should ruin a company.
MrGavin 16 Apr 18, 13:22Post
As I heard Jude Bricker say this weekend: "our policy is the right policy."

So, there you have it.

This is where this is all going.
MrGavin 16 Apr 18, 14:05Post
A small, entertaining part of this, is while this is all going on, and social media is blowing up on the Sun Country story, and the MSP area media is picking it up, Sun Country's social media team for whatever the reason, decided it would be a good time to run promos for Mexican vacations.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Apr 18, 14:43Post
ANCFlyer wrote:You get what you pay for.

Not in this case. These passengers paid for a return trip and they're not getting a return trip.
A million great ideas...
Mark 16 Apr 18, 19:25Post
I'm not sure this new ownership thing is working out well. SY used to be renowned for their amazing customer service. Two days ago, a police officer friend of mine flying on SY to LAS had a checked bag lost with his badge and sidearm in it. SY had no idea where it was. It was eventually located, but he received no updates from SY. And, instead of sending a taxi to his hotel with the lost bag, they made him go to the airport to retrieve it.

https://thriftytraveler.com/sun-country ... rs-mexico/
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Apr 18, 19:43Post
Mark wrote:And, instead of sending a taxi to his hotel with the lost bag, they made him go to the airport to retrieve it.

With a firearm in it, I'd certainly hope so!
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Apr 18, 00:08Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Mark wrote:And, instead of sending a taxi to his hotel with the lost bag, they made him go to the airport to retrieve it.

With a firearm in it, I'd certainly hope so!

+1
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 17 Apr 18, 01:55Post
Typical airline policy in the US (at least 10 years ago when I was still in it) was "We aren't responsible for weather. Period."

Now...common sense would...never mind...you're dealing with the airlines.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
MrGavin 17 Apr 18, 13:46Post
Look at the bright side, 300 or so people have a much better chance of getting on The Amazing Race.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 17 Apr 18, 14:25Post
If there was an airline that would fly you anywhere in the US for $30 BUT there was a 90% chance you'd get bumped one or more times or your flight would get cancelled, people would still be buying tickets for it.

Then bitching when it happened.
This is a Signature Line. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Mark 17 Apr 18, 23:11Post
Just saw an ABC report on this mess. SY said they didn't have any aircraft available to ferry to SJD, MZT, and CUN once MSP opened. I'm not an expert, but for the sake of public relations, I would have found three 737's somewhere to send to get the stranded passengers... even if they were owned by other airlines. Instead, now they have a PR disaster.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Apr 18, 00:24Post
SY simply failed here.

Either send your own metal or rent some.

Simple as that.
MrGavin 18 Apr 18, 13:58Post
Bricker has found out the hard way he can't run Sun Country like he could with Allegiant....just yet.

A complete 180 from the conversation with him on Saturday and Sunday. Can't say more about this conversation, but we'll just put it this way: "I was kinda there" when this all happened. I just can't put how or why on an online forum like this.

However, if you know me on Facebook.... {crazy}

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/04/1 ... cue-flight

The BA Source