You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

WN Cancels All Flights In/Out Of MDW

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Feb 18, 11:37Post
Apparently their logistics folks didn't order enough ice juice for the four day snow and ice even Chicago just experienced. They ran out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmarti ... d17e05b094

http://wgntv.com/2018/02/11/southwest-c ... ing-fluid/

Just exactly how does that happen?
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 12 Feb 18, 13:33Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Just exactly how does that happen?

Global warming. ;)
This is a Signature Line. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Feb 18, 16:35Post
Queso wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:Just exactly how does that happen?

Global warming. ;)

All joking aside, you're on the right track. Because the UK is supposed to be an ice-free country with a Mediterranean climate by now (actually by 2010) many airports here simply didn't bother investing in new snow ploughs etc., which went similarly well for LHR a couple of years ago.
A million great ideas...
MrGavin 12 Feb 18, 17:33Post
Guess all they offered was $100 vouchers.

Apparently Southwest didn't return bags, so those forced to stay the night in Chicago pretty much had to sleep at the airport unless they went to a hotel on their dime and managed to swing by a Kohl's or Target down the street to buy new clothes, toiletries, etc.

WGN this morning had a few people who "may be able to get out tonight," but if not, they "should definitely be out by Tuesday afternoon."

Oh, I bet that place was a lot of fun when all those cancellation notices went up.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Feb 18, 17:35Post
$100 voucher on an airline c**kup.

{laugh}

Right. That'll end well.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Feb 18, 00:05Post
It's not like no one didn't know this storm was coming FFS. I was out with my snow blower twice a day on two occasions. Total at my place, 18 inches.

Point being someone at WN really stepped on their genital area with this mess. They are the biggest carrier at MDW, 300+ flights a day, you'd think they'd have figured it out.

Someone needs to go away.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Feb 18, 06:43Post
And having made the same mistake just weeks before, too.

ANCFlyer wrote:Someone needs to go away.

{check}

Who deals with this stuff - airline, handling agent, airport?
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Feb 18, 15:54Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:And having made the same mistake just weeks before, too.

{check}

Can't find that, even on MDWs web site. But I gotta guess WN is the bill-payer for that. Other airlines were still flying in/out of MDW so someone had deicer on the property.

DL is the only other major in/out of MDW. Everyone else, PD and Y4, certainly don't maintain a big enough stock to cover WNs needs.

Either way, WN took the cheap way out - blamed mother nature. And someone should still be out of a job.
MrGavin 13 Feb 18, 17:09Post
I'm surprised no one (Southwest agent) at MDW got punched.

Not that I advocate violence or anything of the nature, but you know....
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 13 Feb 18, 18:31Post
Several news articles today are referencing a pump on one of the two storage tanks having taken a dump. Apparently WN had plenty of glycol, they just couldn't get it out of the tank.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
bhmbaglock 14 Feb 18, 02:36Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:Several news articles today are referencing a pump on one of the two storage tanks having taken a dump. Apparently WN had plenty of glycol, they just couldn't get it out of the tank.

With a city the size of Chicago, there had to be resources that could have been McGyvered into getting around that. I'd bet big bucks that I could find a solution using things actually available at the airport.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Feb 18, 07:48Post
bhmbaglock wrote:With a city the size of Chicago, there had to be resources that could have been McGyvered into getting around that. I'd bet big bucks that I could find a solution using things actually available at the airport.

Like the arse end of pretty much any fire truck?
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
bhmbaglock 14 Feb 18, 15:49Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
bhmbaglock wrote:With a city the size of Chicago, there had to be resources that could have been McGyvered into getting around that. I'd bet big bucks that I could find a solution using things actually available at the airport.

Like the arse end of pretty much any fire truck?

That would work but I think you'd have a hard time prying it loose unless they had an old/reserve truck on site.
Cadet57 28 Feb 18, 00:46Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:And having made the same mistake just weeks before, too.

{check}

WN runs their own deicing trucks in my little shitheap airport so I would wager a guess that they run their own at one of their largest hubs.

Join the netAirspace community!

Come on in and see what you've been missing!
• Join us in the forums
• Share your photos
• Earn netAirspace Miles
Register now and get
1 month Business Class
membership FREE!