You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Woman Dies While Fence-Surfing At SXM

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 09:31Post
We all knew it would happen one day. A 57 year old woman died from injuries she sustained when the jet blast of a 737 pushed her head-first into a concrete block at Maho Beach.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/n ... -1.3322536
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 09:47Post
One girl got critically injured before we went a few years back.

What will happen now?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 10:13Post
It was just a question of whether it'd be that or some hot-shot taking the fence out that happened first.

Clearly this beach is a major tourist attraction, precisely because you can get close enough for a good sand-blasting. Personally, I can't think of a single good reason to choose SXM over any other Caribbean destination besides Maho Beach. I would be very surprised if this led to barbed wire out into the bay and closing the beach and the road, for that reason. Do that and I wouldn't be surprised if cruise ships stop coming - and that fence won't get blasted nearly as often either.

But the previous faceplant should perhaps have been a clue that all the signs and policemen telling you not to surf the fence don't work, and that concrete blocks in that location were not the brightest idea. This was entirely foreseeable. Reducing the number of things to hit in the blast zone to an absolute minimum, so that people come out with enough road-rash to teach them a lesson and not worse, really should have been done already.

I don't know whether it's possible to have a blast fence that's frangible enough to sit inside the security fence and still stand up to a 747 at full thrust... but again, if it reduces the attraction, and you weigh that against a single fatality, is it even worth it?

I expect instead that the police will be on this like white on rice for a while, and people will be hanging off the fence again before the month is out - concrete blocks or no concrete blocks.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jul 17, 10:17Post
Put another sign up saying "No Fence Surfing Without Appropriate Protective Equipment" I see a business opportunity for someone to sit on a shack on the beach renting crash helmets.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 11:25Post
And sumo suits!
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 13:40Post
The concrete blocks separate the road from the beach:

At least I assume that's what the lady face-planted into, as did the Italian girl a few years ago:

There is just one rule in fence surfing: if you do it, hold on for your dear life. There is no room for second thoughts, once those engines have been fired up.
MrGavin 13 Jul 17, 14:54Post
I've been looking at doing a weekend down and back later this summer, early this fall. Airfares pretty good during those times! However, if that beach and element gets closed, then, as others said, I simply really don't have a reason to go to St. Maarten.

The signs are up. It's pretty obvious you can get yourself whacked or entirely checked out for good if you mess up. Yet, people still do it. I know I'd go and do it. Sign me up on the stupid list.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 18:50Post
OK, show of hands: Who here has been to SXM?

Who here has been to SXM and not surfed the fence?

Zak wrote:The concrete blocks separate the road from the beach:

They don't appear likely to take a high-speed impact (from a vehicle, anyway). I'm sure that a highways engineer could come up with something that'd keep road and beach apart, survive the jet blast, and still be non-lethal to future YouTube stars. They make bollards out of dense rubber, for example.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 Jul 17, 19:20Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:OK, show of hands: Who here has been to SXM?
Here!

ShanwickOceanic wrote:Who here has been to SXM and not surfed the fence?
Nope. {angel}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Jul 17, 19:37Post

12 years ago, should have been back since but life keeps getting in the way.

It has to be done. Hell, I've surfed the fence at BLK!
A million great ideas...
Yokes 13 Jul 17, 20:08Post
Zak wrote:
Here!

Nope. {angel}

Same here! {cheerful}
airtrainer 14 Jul 17, 17:24Post
Zak wrote:
Here!

Nope. {angel}

Guilty {shy}
Sir, would you like chicken or pasta ?
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jul 17, 19:49Post
Too cynical?

Some dude on Facebook wrote:I knew this would happen someday...I was there and people are just dumb to hold on fences.

Zak wrote:Holding on to the fence isn't the problem. Letting go in the wrong moment is.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 14 Jul 17, 20:36Post
No. Tired of seeing this crap as well.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 18 Jul 17, 14:46Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:It was just a question of whether it'd be that or some hot-shot taking the fence out that happened first.

{thumbsup} {thumbsup} And will that hot-shot just take out the fence, or his aircraft full of people too?

I realize that is pretty much anybody's guess, but think of the backlash if one of those 727s from Insel Air come in a little low(er) - it won't be pretty.
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.

The BA Source