You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

LCY To Get Remote Tower

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 May 17, 13:22Post
London City is to become the first UK airport to replace its air traffic control tower with a remotely operated digital system.

Instead of sitting in a tower overlooking the runway, controllers will be 120 miles away, watching live footage from high-definition cameras.

The new system, due to be completed in 2018, will be tested for a year before becoming fully operational in 2019.

Read more: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39960993

Quite aside from whether the idea of this makes you nervous, LCY strikes me as an odd place to start. Replacing bored controllers at several sleepy island airports is one thing, but LCY - where's the benefit?
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 19 May 17, 14:06Post
It seems to me to be a case of "Since we can do it, let's do it!"
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 May 17, 16:24Post
I'm not sure I appreciate that . . . . cameras can fail, and I've many cases from my LE days where they do just that.
Retired, retired again, and lastly retired again. I'm finally done.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 May 17, 20:08Post
But nobody's going to get pistol-whipped when these ones fail {duck}
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 21 May 17, 13:25Post
ANCFlyer wrote:I'm not sure I appreciate that . . . . cameras can fail, and I've many cases from my LE days where they do just that.

They can not only fail, they can be hacked. This is a monumentally stupid idea, not unlike the plans to deploy unmanned ships at sea.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 21 May 17, 15:07Post
Wonder if LCY was a candidate as the current tower may not have been fit for purpose with all the recent expansions; combined with the lack of space for a suitable replacement it might have been an ideal place to start. I'd feel a little concerned by it though; looks great on the promo shots but not sure how reliable the CCTV streams and angles will remain!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 May 17, 04:13Post
They want to do this for FNL, too. The line we were sold is, "controllers can work multiple airports, such as FNL and GXY, at the same time, thereby increasing controller efficiency."

Sure. Nothing could go wrong. Swiss cheese model will undoubtedly improve, right?

Join the netAirspace community!

Come on in and see what you've been missing!
• Join us in the forums
• Share your photos
• Earn netAirspace Miles
Register now and get
1 month Business Class
membership FREE!