You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Ethiopian B737 MAX 8 Crashes On Departure

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 19, 11:44Post
An Ethiopian Airlines jet has crashed shortly after take-off from Addis Ababa, killing all on board, the airline says.

It said 149 passengers and eight crew members were believed to be on flight ET302 from the Ethiopian capital to Nairobi in Kenya.

The airline added that there were 33 different nationalities on board.

The crash happened at 08.44 local time, six minutes after the months-old Boeing 737 Max-8 took off.

Read more on BBC News:: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47513508

AvHerald coverage: http://avherald.com/h?article=4c534c4a&opt=0
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

airtrainer 10 Mar 19, 11:54Post
Damn that's the second 737 MAX crash {cry}
Sir, would you like chicken or pasta ?
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 19, 12:23Post
First reports sound scary. :(
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 10 Mar 19, 15:04Post
Sad photos of the crash site on Twitter.

The captain had 8000 hrs and the FO had 200(?!?)
That seems a bit green to be flying a 737
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 10 Mar 19, 16:30Post
Not really - outside the US there isn't really the regional > mainline path so once you have your frozen ATPL (CPL+IR, 150 flying hours from scratch) you can go pretty much anywhere. I have friends who were flying the B738 with Ryanair as their first airline job.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
paul mcallister 10 Mar 19, 17:51Post
After the Lion Air crash,there was some interesting speculation about the COG of the MAX8 aircraft,and that the engines were too far forward.

I am not an aeronautical engineer,but some of what I read was interesting,anyone else heard anything about COG issues on these?

Also the anti-stall system was mentioned in the Lion-air crash (MCAS),all very scary stuff,too much automation in the cockpit will doubtless come up again.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Mar 19, 20:47Post
Journalistas wrote:
...149 passengers and eight crew members were believed to be on flight ET302....

I know what they meant, but the way it's worded comes off as there being some uncertainty what flight the victims where on board.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 19, 20:49Post
The similarity to the Lion Air crash is striking. And while Lion Air may have a terrible safety record, ET doesn't.

Without implying they are at fault, but Boeing has a serious problem at hand. 2 rather similar crashes of brand new aircraft of the same type will certainly trigger strong reactions.

In Indonesia, there are first calls to ground all 7M8 already. I'd be very surprised if other operators aren't at least considering the scenario.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 19, 21:00Post
Zak wrote:Without implying they are at fault, but Boeing has a serious problem at hand.

Plus I've already seen the first couple of "I'm flying on a 737-800 next week, is it safe?" questions floating about. The likes of Ryanair won't be thrilled if that gets out of hand...
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Mar 19, 22:50Post
It has been confirmed that the Captain had just declared an emergency and contacted ATC for an immediate return to ADD when the aircraft went down. It looks like they were just starting to turn back when it all went wrong.

Ethiopian News are describing the PIC as one of Africa's finest pilots who was ET's senior Captain on domestic and continental routes, not that reputations are always the best indicator (thinking TFN).
A million great ideas...
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 11 Mar 19, 01:24Post
CNBC reports Chinese airlines have been ordered to stop using their 737 MAX

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/11/chinese ... ter%7Cmain

Via Jon Ostrower on Twitter, Cayman is also suspending operations, and here is a separate link

https://www.caymancompass.com/2019/03/1 ... -aircraft/

Both stories I saw came out at the same time on Twitter about 45 minutes ago, and I saw on a Google search for Cayman that they got their 2nd MAX very recently.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Mar 19, 01:38Post
I'll get on a MAX8 right now. I'd fly on two of them at the same time if it were possible.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 11 Mar 19, 09:00Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I'll get on a MAX8 right now. I'd fly on two of them at the same time if it were possible.

This.

American, Southwest, Norwegian, Air Canada and WestJet haven't augured one in.
Having a greenhorn in the right seat isn't exactly a good idea. ET lost an NG departing a few years back.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
airtrainer 11 Mar 19, 12:04Post
It didn't take long :|
How to tell if you're flying on a Boeing 737 MAX in North America

https://thepointsguy.com/news/737-max-o ... ian-crash/
airtrainer 11 Mar 19, 13:09Post
To be confirmed (only saw a post on Facebook but could not find any article), Royal Air Maroc apparently grounded their 737-MAX fleet too...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 11 Mar 19, 13:38Post
Article about RAM: https://en.yabiladi.com/articles/detail ... ounds.html

No press release on their site, though, as yet: https://www.royalairmaroc.com/corporate ... -de-presse

With every decision to ground them, surely it has to get harder for the other airlines to keep them flying. Facts be damned, all it'll take is for someone like Southwest to have a completely unrelated non-injury overrun in a MAX, and the the ambulance-chasers will start bleating about how "every tin-pot third-world airline grounded these death-traps" and take them to the cleaners.

Boss is trying to arrange our travel for an upcoming trip - I wanted Finnair, he wanted Turkish, and the fact that one has MAX-8s and the other doesn't may just have swung his decision. This may have something to do with the fact that one of his daughters was on this specific Ethiopian aircraft on Saturday, flying up from JNB. {bugeye}
airtrainer 11 Mar 19, 14:28Post
A “lucky” man said he managed to avoid being among the victims of the Ethiopian Airlines crash because he was two minutes late to the boarding gate, missing the flight.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-u ... 293d219612

And another lucky passenger missed his connection thanks to a delayed flight from Dubai...

He said: “It was from Dubai to Addis Ababa and then from Addis Ababa to Nairobi but because of the delay from Dubai I missed the first flight.
“So when I reached Addis Ababa they told me to take second flight which I said was fine.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... med-khalid

{bugeye}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 11 Mar 19, 18:49Post
Airlines that so far grounded their 7M8 fleets:

9 Air
Air China
Cayman Airways
China Eastern
China Southern
Comair
Ethiopian Airlines
Fuzhou Airlines
Garuda Indonesia
Hainan Airlines
Kunming Airlines
Lionair
Lucky Air
MIAT Mongolian Airlines
OKAir
Shandong Airlines
Shanghai Airlines
Shenzhen Airlines
Xiamen Air

Airlines and authorities that consider grounding the 7M8:

Aerolineas Argentinas
FlyDubai
Indian Directorate General of Civil Aviation (Spicejet, Jet Airways)
Royal Air Maroc
TuiFly
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Mar 19, 21:17Post
I won't be flying on any B38Ms owned by AA.
airtrainer 11 Mar 19, 22:23Post
Here are two snapshots of the 737 MAX-8 that were flying earlier today...

thumbnail_Screenshot_20190311_202613_com.flightradar24free.jpg
thumbnail_Screenshot_20190311_202613_com.flightradar24free.jpg (171.5 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
thumbnail_Screenshot_20190311_162927_com.flightradar24free.jpg
thumbnail_Screenshot_20190311_162927_com.flightradar24free.jpg (177.42 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Mar 19, 02:19Post
Yup, Norwegian have been sending them here for a while.
PA110 (Founding Member) 12 Mar 19, 03:43Post
I'm on one in 3 weeks. Am I worried? No.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
HT-ETNW 12 Mar 19, 06:18Post
Singapore's FAA (or equivient) has banned B737 MAX 8 from operating into / out of Singapore airspace.

Source: Radio news
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
airtrainer 12 Mar 19, 08:30Post
Boeing to upgrade software in 737 MAX 8 fleet in 'weeks'
(Reuters) - Boeing Co confirmed late on Monday it will deploy a software upgrade to the 737 MAX 8, a few hours after the Federal Aviation Administration said it would mandate “design changes” in the aircraft by April.
Boeing did not reference Sunday’s Ethiopian Airlines crash in connection to the software upgrade. The statement did express the company’s condolences to the relatives of the 157 people who died, however.
Link
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Mar 19, 10:31Post
PA110 wrote:I'm on one in 3 weeks. Am I worried? No.

{check} ORD-MCO AA.
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!