You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Social

Time Travel Fun

Arrange meetings, spotting trips and mutual flying activities here.

md88dawg 02 Nov 18, 02:10Post
If you were given the chance to go back in time with a DSLR from today, which airport and time period would you pick? You are allowed only one airport. :))

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

airtrainer 02 Nov 18, 04:37Post
Kai Tak !
Sir, would you like chicken or pasta ?
Yokes 02 Nov 18, 07:24Post
airtrainer wrote:Kai Tak !

Definitly Kai Tak. Had the same in my mind before I saw your answer. :))
CentrelinePhoto 02 Nov 18, 08:58Post
Yokes wrote:
airtrainer wrote:Kai Tak !

Definitly Kai Tak. Had the same in my mind before I saw your answer. :))

Kai Tak was lacking in variety but obviously the backdrops were a big draw. I'd be inclined to say LHR, MIA or LAX, mid 70s to early 80s, the ten years leading up to when I started spotting. Plenty of variety and lots of smoke!
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 02 Nov 18, 09:02Post
SXM. 1989. For just one shot.

Any questions? :))

Edit: and while I'm in 1989 with my DSLR, I might as well hop on the Concorde from SXM back to Paris and go after another great photo op there:

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 02 Nov 18, 14:38Post
Heathrow for me, just to see all the airliners and airlines of the period.

Though Miami would also be up there as I'd imagine the Caribbean connections would have provided some very rare equipment!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 02 Nov 18, 15:02Post
mhodgson wrote:Though Miami would also be up there as I'd imagine the Caribbean connections would have provided some very rare equipment!

Link

Some cool stuff in there. Don't mind the bugs, I searched for cockroach corner miami. :))
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
md88dawg 02 Nov 18, 21:49Post
Wow, some goodies here! That would have been such a treat to see Concorde in SXM.

I am torn between MIA in the 1970s/1980s and Kai Tak. I would definitely want the experience of flying in on the Checkerboard Approach. :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Nov 18, 19:56Post
md88dawg wrote:Wow, some goodies here! That would have been such a treat to see Concorde in SXM.

Fun fact - it was followed an hour later by Air Force One, back then a VC137C (707).

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 03 Nov 18, 22:21Post
All great choices so far. I'd have to pick ABQ sometime during the late 70s, early 80s. There are so very few photos from there during that era and I've always been fascinated by the evolution of the terminal. I'm a little odd that way.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
md88dawg 04 Nov 18, 01:27Post
Can I change my vote? This day would be epic.

Zak wrote:
md88dawg wrote:Wow, some goodies here! That would have been such a treat to see Concorde in SXM.

Fun fact - it was followed an hour later by Air Force One, back then a VC137C (707).

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!