AirlinesVirgin Atlantic: No need to join SkyTeam yet
UK long-haul carrier Virgin Atlantic has no immediate plans to join the SkyTeam alliance, despite being part-owned by US SkyTeam member Delta Air Lines and alliance partner Air France-KLM being in the process of buying a stake in the carrier.
“There might be a time when it makes sense,” CEO Craig Kreeger said Dec. 6 at the Aviation Club UK, where he delivered his final public speech before retiring at the end of the year.LinkSwitzerland’s PrivatAir files for insolvency
Swiss charter carrier PrivatAir filed for insolvency Dec. 5, including its German subsidiary PrivatAir GmbH.
“Over the past few weeks, a number of events have had a significant impact on the companies’ future business forecast and viability, which forced the companies to file for insolvency,” the airline said in a statement on its website.LinkAir France pilots vote to replace union leadership
Air France’s main pilots’ union elected a new leader to represent it in negotiations with the carrier, ushering in the possibility of a less hostile approach to relations with management.
Guillaume Gestas will replace Philippe Evain as president of SNPL’s Air France branch, the union said Dec. 6 following a vote by members. Jean-Michel Julien and Guillaume Schmid will serve as vice presidents.LinkFrench La Compagnie to begin service to New York
French all-business class transatlantic airline La Compagnie will begin operating seasonal flights between Nice and New York-Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) from May 5, 2019.
The move will increase to two the number of routes operated by the carrier. La Compagnie’s service to Newark from Paris Orly is its only transatlantic route, following a decision in 2016 to axe flights between London Luton and Newark.LinkAir China to launch direct Beijing-Phnom Penh service
Air China will begin direct flights from Beijing to Cambodia’s Phnom Penh, with 3X-weekly Airbus A320 service, from Jan. 7, 2019, marking the first time both capital cities are connected.
Initial plans to begin the route in November 2018 were delayed because of “market reasons.” Air China also shelved a service to Siem Reap, Cambodia, in 2017 after a year, citing weak demand.LinkAirAsia Group signs MOU for new LCC in Vietnam
AirAsia Group has moved forward with plans to establish an LCC in Vietnam by signing an MOU with a Vietnamese businessman, reaffirming an earlier joint venture (JV) agreement.
The Malaysia-based LCC and Tran Trong Kien inked the MOU Dec. 6.
Tran is CEO of Hai Au Aviation Joint Stock Co. (HAA), Gumin Co. and Thien Minh Travel Joint Stock Co. Under the agreement, Gumin and HAA will hold 70% of the JV, with AirAsia owning the remaining 30%.LinkSouthwest 737 skids off Burbank runway
A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700 slid off the end of the runway while landing at Hollywood Burbank airport in California today, stopping only after plowing into aircraft "arresting" material.
The aircraft (registration N752SW) was operating Southwest flight 278 from Oakland when it landed on Burbank's Runway 8 at 09:05 local time, says the Federal Aviation Administration.LinkOneworld touts sum benefits on possible Qatar departure
Oneworld chief executive Rob Gurney touts the sum benefit of the alliance over individual member airline spats when faced with questions over the possible departure of Qatar Airways.
"The reality of global alliances is there's not always going to be 100% alignment of strategic interests among the member partners," he said at the announcement of Royal Air Maroc's membership in New York on 5 December. "However, no single airline can offer the customer a completely holistic proposition in terms of network."LinkAeroflot tender hints at 316-seat layout for A350s
Russian flag-carrier Aeroflot appears to have indicated a likely configuration for its Airbus A350-900s in a request for consulting services.
The consultation tender, to support the interior cabin design on the aircraft, refers to three classes of seating.
These include 28 seats in business class, 24 seats in premium-economy, and 264 in economy class, manufactured by B/E Aerospace. The tender also mentions a Panasonic in-flight entertainment system. Link