You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Things To Do In Denver When You're Alive

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.
 

cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 08:05Post
Quick question to members on here who are familiar with Denver.

I'm flying there next week (11th) for a conference and some related business but am likely to have some pockets of free time in amongst work - maybe a day to explore.

Any recommendations on good things to see and do while there?

I'll be staying pretty central by the looks of things.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!
 
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 15:21Post
Send a PM to ShyFlyer, he lives there . . . .

Good place to start.

Pep
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 15:26Post
Stay the hell away from the area around the Greyhound station... Just saying.

If you have time, there are a bunch of casinos around Blackhawk. The casinos are pretty standard fare, but the trip up and back has some spectacular scenery.

Of course, the Air Force academy is about 1 hour south on 25, and that's cool to see.

Railfans also may want to check out the Georgetown Loop Railroad
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Mark 03 Jun 18, 15:36Post
Visit the Denver Mint. They are known to give out free samples to tour guests.

Image
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 15:44Post
Once you get east of DEN you're in Kansas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 16:11Post
Possibly the best thread title of the year {thumbsup}

Have they still got the last dinosaur? {boxed}

I've only been once and spent most of the time signing paperwork before flying home. Definitely somewhere I'd like to visit properly.
A million great ideas...
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 03 Jun 18, 16:37Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Send a PM to ShyFlyer, he lives there . . . .

Good place to start.

Pep


I didn't realise he's there these days. I thought he lived down in New Mexico or similar.

Click Click D'oh wrote:Stay the hell away from the area around the Greyhound station... Just saying.

If you have time, there are a bunch of casinos around Blackhawk. The casinos are pretty standard fare, but the trip up and back has some spectacular scenery.

Of course, the Air Force academy is about 1 hour south on 25, and that's cool to see.

Railfans also may want to check out the Georgetown Loop Railroad


Thanks for the tips. I shall investigate to see if their things I could fit in.

Mark wrote:Visit the Denver Mint. They are known to give out free samples to tour guests.

I am happy to take many, many free samples if legal tender!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 04 Jun 18, 00:40Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Send a PM to ShyFlyer, he lives there . . . .

Yeah, but word has it he spends most of his time in jail these days, so I don't don't know how trustworthy his word is anymore. :))


The Money Museum is nice place to stop. It won't take up a bunch of time, but you do get to take home a bag of money. Seriously. It's shredded, of course, but it is actual money.

The museum is along the 16th Mall which is a fairly nice area to walk around and get your steps in, but I wasn't too excited about the shopping opportunities. Coors Field and Union Station are an easy stroll away.

Wings Over The Rockies is a pretty good way to spend a few hours. It's kinda Colorado centric, but a good blend of Commercial and Military aviation. If you'd like to visit the old Stapleton Tower, it still up. It's a Punch Bowl Social location now and they don't currently allow guests in the cab. Central Park, right across the street, is a nice park and I like to go there and image what it was like years ago when that area was the terminal ramp.

Red Rocks is another place I'd recommend, depending on how you do with altitude. It's not much higher than the rest of the DEN metro, but it is quite hilly.

If you do find yourself down in the COS area, I also recommend Pikes Peak. You can drive to the top, but they are doing construction so parking is limited. There is a free shuttle to the top, but you still have to pay to access the toll road. Pikes Peak is a "14er" so plan accordingly for the weather.

cornish wrote:I thought he lived down in New Mexico

Once upon a time...
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 04 Jun 18, 00:48Post
Coors Field is one of the best ballparks in America, if you're into baseball. The purple row of seats in the upper decks is the mile-high line.
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 04 Jun 18, 09:07Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
ANCFlyer wrote:Send a PM to ShyFlyer, he lives there . . . .

Yeah, but word has it he spends most of his time in jail these days, so I don't don't know how trustworthy his word is anymore. :))


I admit I wasn't planning on visiting jail while in the States {crazy}

ShyFlyer wrote:The Money Museum is nice place to stop. It won't take up a bunch of time, but you do get to take home a bag of money. Seriously. It's shredded, of course, but it is actual money.The museum is along the 16th Mall which is a fairly nice area to walk around and get your steps in, but I wasn't too excited about the shopping opportunities. Coors Field and Union Station are an easy stroll away.Wings Over The Rockies is a pretty good way to spend a few hours. It's kinda Colorado centric, but a good blend of Commercial and Military aviation. If you'd like to visit the old Stapleton Tower, it still up. It's a Punch Bowl Social location now and they don't currently allow guests in the cab. Central Park, right across the street, is a nice park and I like to go there and image what it was like years ago when that area was the terminal ramp.Red Rocks is another place I'd recommend, depending on how you do with altitude. It's not much higher than the rest of the DEN metro, but it is quite hilly.If you do find yourself down in the COS area, I also recommend Pikes Peak. You can drive to the top, but they are doing construction so parking is limited. There is a free shuttle to the top, but you still have to pay to access the toll road. Pikes Peak is a "14er" so plan accordingly for the weather.


Thanks for the great suggestions. I like the idea of a bag of free money - rather it wasn't shredded!
And as a true petrolhead, I would love to drive up Pikes Peak (at a slightly more sedate pace than the pros!) but not sure if I'll get enough time to do that. We'll see.

Allstarflyer wrote:Coors Field is one of the best ballparks in America, if you're into baseball. The purple row of seats in the upper decks is the mile-high line.


Never been to one, but would like to!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 04 Jun 18, 15:30Post
cornish wrote:And as a true petrolhead, I would love to drive up Pikes Peak (at a slightly more sedate pace than the pros!) but not sure if I'll get enough time to do that. We'll see.

Pikes Peak would definitely eat up about a half day when you include the time up there and back. The trip (one way) takes about 2 hours from my place in the south Metro, not accounting for traffic. The Hill Climb is on the 24th of June this year.


cornish wrote:I admit I wasn't planning on visiting jail while in the States

It's not fun but at least they pay me to be there.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 04 Jun 18, 15:52Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
cornish wrote:And as a true petrolhead, I would love to drive up Pikes Peak (at a slightly more sedate pace than the pros!) but not sure if I'll get enough time to do that. We'll see.

Pikes Peak would definitely eat up about a half day when you include the time up there and back. The trip (one way) takes about 2 hours from my place in the south Metro, not accounting for traffic. The Hill Climb is on the 24th of June this year.


That's good to know. Wish I could stay long enough for the hill climb, but I should be in Indonesia by then {crazy}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 04 Jun 18, 17:31Post
cornish wrote:Wish I could stay long enough for the hill climb, but I should be in Indonesia by then

But in Indonesia you can head down to the local airport and watch some off-roading {boxed}
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 05 Jun 18, 11:59Post
As has been mentioned - Pikes Peak is awsesome, and Coors Field - it is indeed a great stadium for taking in a game. Down near Pikes Peak is the Royal Gorge also. Take a train ride through it next to the river, or go up top and walk the worlds highest suspension bridge. (zip-lining too)

https://royalgorgebridge.com/
https://royalgorgeroute.com/
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 05 Jun 18, 20:24Post
Eat at Rioja. Or Duo. Or both.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 10 Jun 18, 20:07Post
The Royal Gorge would definitely be a full day trip.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 11 Jun 18, 11:01Post
ShyFlyer wrote:The Royal Gorge would definitely be a full day trip.

And damn sure worth every minute . . . . .

https://royalgorgeroute.com/
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 11 Jun 18, 11:37Post
Not sure I could do a full day trip, much as I'd like to. Logistics and various bits of work getting in the way. Much as I'd love to!!

Thanks for all the great suggestions and I'll sure try to fit on some of them

And if anyone is local or in town and wants a beer, then drop me a line. I arrive tonight (Mondsy).
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 11 Jun 18, 15:40Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
ShyFlyer wrote:The Royal Gorge would definitely be a full day trip.

And damn sure worth every minute . . . . .

https://royalgorgeroute.com/


Absolutely! It's near the top of my day trip list.

cornish wrote:And if anyone is local or in town and wants a beer, then drop me a line.

I would if my schedule wasn't already spoken for. The good and bad thing about having large blocks of time off is that everything gets crammed in and very little down time.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!
 
 

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

LEFT

RIGHT
CONTENT