You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

I Never Knew This Was A Thing

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

Mark 17 Mar 18, 02:21Post
I hear this is a thing in New York City. Hasidic Jews who are volunteer EMTs in fancy cars with red/white lights and sirens. This video shows them en route to their ambulance station for a call... looking a lot like a modern version of the Keystone Cops. It's hard to WTF me, but WTF?

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 17 Mar 18, 14:02Post
I'm not really sure what is going on in the video, but Hatzalah has real ambulances.

They are a real deal, fully certified volunteer EMT service that works entirely off donations.
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
Mark 17 Mar 18, 16:55Post
In the above video, I think a bunch of them are responding the their station to GET the ambulance using one vehicle. This happens here, too, but they'd never ride outside on the running boards.

Apparently, they get special license plates and parking permits. They can also have red and white lights and sirens on their personal vehicles (instead of the regular blue light/no siren).

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Mar 18, 18:59Post
There are Hatzalah groups in the UK too, mostly in London. Because they're not permitted to fit emergency lights and sirens to their own private vehicles, one member of each team keeps a fully kitted-out and licensed ambulance as their own personal transportation. That must be interesting in the office car park!
A million great ideas...