You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Totally Useless Thread On A Rainy Wednesday

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 Nov 18, 14:20Post
Is there a reputable PC company that allows customers to fully customize a new PC? By fully customize, I mean start with essentially a empty case and, step by step, spec out the new rig.

There are several that allow you to modify the components of prepackaged PCs, which would be fine each of their base-line offerings weren't a compromise of some sort.

I'd build it myself but don't really want to play PC tech support trying to figure out why the graphics card I need doesn't want to make nice-nice.

The goal is to have a top-line flightsim rig running Prepar3D V4 for less than was a RedBird Sim costs and, in the end, is more versatile.
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Nov 18, 23:12Post
Price is often proportionate to reputation. So is often best to make your own, anyway.

Other than that, check in on https://slickdeals.net/deals/desktop/ and read the reviews there. Maybe combine a sans-GPU tower with a good deal on a GPU.
Mark 29 Nov 18, 15:35Post
Mine is about seven years old, but it's an Asus and they custom-built it for me. Total cost of the desktop's tower was $350. That included some pretty fancy memory, HD's, etc. The only thing that I messed up on was the graphics card.... it's a little light, but still gets the job done.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Dec 18, 16:21Post
Got my medical review. Turns out they will be taking a bit more of me away than previously recommended.

Moving across country.

Have an entire course packet to study.

Need to get my Jeep un-smashed.

All in next 2.5 weeks.

2 more coworkers quit while I was gone because of the idiot boss.

Time for a social media (at least FB) break.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 07 Dec 18, 23:24Post
Need anything, let me know!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Dec 18, 09:29Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Need anything, let me know!

Just saw this. That's s million, brutha, you're a cc stand-up man.

Surgeries only took ~4 hours, so very quick. Still in a ton of pain; narcs don't even touch it, but I'm home and happy, and able to doze every now and then. They have me IV narcs too, but it did nothing really.

That said, an still feeling much better than pre-op. Praise the Lord!
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Dec 18, 18:46Post
Ouch! Doesn't sound like fun Lucas, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
A million great ideas...
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 14 Dec 18, 19:40Post
Lucas wrote:Time for a social media (at least FB) break.

I'm not gonna say who, but somebody has been wondering about you, your absence has been noticed. ;)

Prayers from Texas for your speedy recovery. {thumbsup}
This is a Signature Line. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 17 Dec 18, 02:26Post
Queso wrote:
Lucas wrote:Time for a social media (at least FB) break.

I'm not gonna say who, but somebody has been wondering about you, your absence has been noticed. ;)

Prayers from Texas for your speedy recovery. {thumbsup}

Oooh la la, I feel loved! Please tell that person to visit me in Tucson...I need a friend who's fine with heat and not a uh...twerp.

Thank you. I am still really zonked and in quite a bit of pain, but they're fixing some more stuff on Tuesday. They did manage to get all of the growth but had to remove a lot more bone than expected to get to it.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Dec 18, 22:18Post
OK, now this is how you do an ad.

Wish there were subtitles, but I think it probably works without understanding a word of Finnish.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Dec 18, 20:51Post
Bitter sweet today . . . I sold my Glennallen, Alaska house today. Really loved that place, in the middle of no-where, surrounded by trees, (and mooses [meeses?], bears and other associated Alaska wildlife). Got the asking price, so happy with that. But it's done.

Papers will arrive at Yukon Title by 3pm tomorrow.

So long to that place.

Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Dec 18, 17:41Post
You put a lot of work in to that place Pep. {thumbsup}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 21 Dec 18, 18:32Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:OK, now this is how you do an ad.

{bugeye} Did they hire Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to shoot that one?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Dec 18, 19:54Post
GQfluffy wrote:You put a lot of work in to that place Pep. {thumbsup}

Yes . . . .

Yes I did. Entire place inside and out remodeled, refreshed, renewed. All new electric, baths, kitchen, living, water system, heating system, the whole shooting match. In about an hour, US Central Time, it will no longer belong to me.

But I know who bought it, and she will take grand care of it.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Dec 18, 21:34Post
ANCFlyer wrote:But I know who bought it, and she will take grand care of it.

Glad to hear it, Pep.

Zak wrote: {bugeye} Did they hire Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to shoot that one?

You've got to wonder... Going by that lingering touch on the wing, though, there was a pilot involved somewhere.

The nurse looks familiar. Rachel Weisz?

Rumour has it that the little girl was last seen near Gatwick.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Dec 18, 23:48Post
Picked up a FLYING magazine read while on my extended is in LAS last night. It's been several years since I've read any issue, physical or digital. A few noteworthy items:

• Thickness is reduced. Seems like the articles are shorter and there are fewer of them.
  • Dick Karl has apparently sold his Piper Cheyenne and is in the market for a twin-jet. He had a Premier 1A for a short time and found maintenance a huge hassle and it was eventually disposed of by insurance after a bird strike.
  • Les Abend retired from AA.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Dec 18, 23:52Post
Had a late lunch with my Mom at a nearby Casio which, as is the case in NM, is on a Reservation. A football game was playing on the cafe's projection screen: Redskins vs Titans.

The only time anyone was upset was went the Titans made a First Down.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Dec 18, 20:20Post
It's going to be a weird week:

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 1.18.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 1.18.00 PM.png (106.08 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 31 Dec 18, 22:49Post
Figured since you live out West, Shy, NM and CO always have the wild weather swings . . .
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 01 Jan 19, 02:09Post
Yeah, it's nothing I haven't seen before, but it's still weird. {laugh}
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Jan 19, 17:29Post
So...Pep...what did you do to get Zuc'ed this time? :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 15 Jan 19, 18:06Post
GQfluffy wrote:So...Pep...what did you do to get Zuc'ed this time? :))

He called out a member of Congress from Michigan as someone who wears discarded cloths on her head.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 Jan 19, 20:59Post
That was the post they said was too far? {laugh}
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Jan 19, 02:42Post
miamiair wrote:
GQfluffy wrote:So...Pep...what did you do to get Zuc'ed this time? :))

He called out a member of Congress from Michigan as someone who wears discarded cloths on her head.

Not just one member of congress . . . . every damn one of them wearing whatever it is on their heads which, until they got elected, was verboten by then entire House and Senate. Utterly shameful.

The government has gone to shit, and PC abounds. Stop it before it kills us.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 Jan 19, 02:46Post
GQfluffy wrote:That was the post they said was too far?

They are a weird and sensitive bunch, those Facebook droids.

I got restricted from viewing non-friend pages for simply "Liking" a page called Awkward Family Photos (or something like that). The driods claimed the restriction was placed because they'd detected my behavior and thought I was some sort of spam bot. Idiots.

The restriction was lifted the second I "unliked" the aforementioned page. Even though I contacted Support, no one ever responded.

Idiots.

The BA Source