You are at netAirspace : Forum : The Combustion Chamber - Off-Topics : General Off-Topics

Totally Useless Thread On A Rainy Wednesday

Everything that would not belong anywhere else.

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Jan 19, 02:58Post
The company itself is a bloody cult.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Jan 19, 16:04Post
GQfluffy wrote:The company itself is a bloody cult.

Did you mean to type an L there? {boxed}

Not so much a rainy Wednesday as a snowy one in Stockholm, with all the fun that brings. Flightradar24 shows a lot of stuff holding for ARN, with Norwegian's GOT and ORY flights diverting across the water to TKU.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Jan 19, 20:13Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Did you mean to type an L there? {boxed}

{check}
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Jan 19, 21:39Post
PG-13 website and all... {mischief}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 16 Jan 19, 23:58Post
What's rated "R" about the word "cut?" {angel}
The Original Peruvian Outlaw ©
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Jan 19, 08:13Post
ShyFlyer wrote:What's rated "R" about the word "cut?" {angel}

Perhaps the only thing I remember from the tedium that was high-school English Literature is that, back in Shakespeare's time, the N in that other word was optional. Something about comparing handwriting, "are these not her Cs, her Us, her Ts?" Couldn't even tell you which play it was in. So that's what's R-rated about "cut". Hell, ANCFlyer's probably old enough to remember.

Talking about N: What starts with N, ends with N, and has 100 Ns in the middle?

Constipation.
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
Mark 20 Jan 19, 22:20Post
Hey Pep.... Try this with your truck. You can take a Smart Car to McDonald's for a Happy Meal as a treat for being good.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jan 19, 22:42Post
Mark wrote:Hey Pep.... Try this with your truck. You can take a Smart Car to McDonald's for a Happy Meal as a treat for being good.

I've said it before, I'll say it again . . . I wouldn't have a spare tire, I've have an entire spare car!!!! And that's a short bed! I have the fully monty.
Armor. M60A1, M60A3, M1, M1A1, Master Gunner, CSM - Best Job I Ever Had
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 21 Jan 19, 18:34Post
Ingrown toe nails hurt. OTC remedies are worthless.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 22 Jan 19, 03:05Post
miamiair wrote:Ingrown toe nails hurt. OTC remedies are worthless.

I had one that got infected. I got the infection treated with clindamycin, then went to the podiatrist. He used a stainless steel nippers to cut out the ingrown part. It's grown back normal... not ingrown. I bought one of the clippers he used. After seeing how easy and painless it was to nip out the ingrown part, I decided I could do that myself at home for future ingrown nails. The nipper costs less than $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toenail-Clippe ... 2749.l2649

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jan 19, 17:33Post
Glad that I don't live month-to-month, but am regretting going FAA instead of Afghanistan with the shutdown and all. I'm losing a ton of money, and the medical bills aren't small...

Also, total pages to learn that are facility-specific: 1,668. From what I can tell, it's a lot of minutia that's come about due to spats.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jan 19, 12:55Post
Lucas wrote:Glad that I don't live month-to-month, but am regretting going FAA instead of Afghanistan with the shutdown and all. I'm losing a ton of money, and the medical bills aren't small...

Hope you're doing well otherwise Lucas. Talk about bad timing :(
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Feb 19, 20:44Post
Ryanair shinkansen?

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 08 Mar 19, 10:07Post
Parrots on smack turn to theft to feed their addiction:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-47432244
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Mar 19, 01:16Post
Perhaps if Facebook devoted at least half the energy towards IT magic that they spend on being absolutely frothing at the mouth fanatical about certain types of political speech, then maybe this outage would be over by now.

Normally it wouldn't bother me so much but there is a blizzard outside and not much else to keep me occupied.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Mar 19, 17:58Post
Ah, CPH. Bliss.

Fast-track security has one lane, which, by default, is the Muppet Lane. So that was fun. (Made even more so by a certain co-traveller's ability to lose his plastic bag of toiletries in the carry-on-sized bag he's buried in his actual carry-on bag... yeah.)

Finally get out of that madness and head for the lounge (after running the gauntlet through the inevitable duty-free.) Boarding pass says we can go to the Atelier lounge or the Apartment lounge. Are either of them signposted? Are any of the lounges? Come on, this is CPH.

In the end, we gave up and went to the information booth (having stumbled upon it completely by accident. On the wall of this booth was a map, with all the lounges marked. They're scattered all over the place. Because CPH.

In front of the map, one of those advertising displays, with a TV in portrait mode and the whole thing on little wheels. Not advertising anything, not giving any information. Hell, not even plugged in. Its sole purpose in life was to prevent people from seeing the map. Because, you know, CPH.

Bollocks to the Atelier, it's about a week's walk away, through a damn mall that forgot it was supposed to be an airport. Because CPH.

Were any of the four lounges that begin with A the Apartment lounge? Well, yes, sort of. Turns out it's the Aviator lounge. Apartment by Aviator. OK, this one is half Finnair's fault, but if it wasn't confusing it wouldn't be CPH.

And don't even get me started on our attempt to use their "information" screen. {frown}

Yeah yeah, can't find the lounge, first world problems :P Right now I'm looking out over a couple of restaurants and a bar-looking thing called The Bird. Which is what I give to the "designers" of this ClusterPHuck.

And we still have to find the gate. {boxed}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 14 Mar 19, 19:33Post
But... but... the architecture!

A mall that forgot it was supposed to be an airport. Can't describe CPH any better.
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Mar 19, 19:45Post
Had a friend pass through there earlier today, he said much the same thing - loads of mall but no seating.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Mar 19, 21:08Post
That cathedral part is its one saving grace. Luckily our flight left from near there, so I had time to go in there and enjoy it.

The rest is diabolical.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Mar 19, 21:17Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:That cathedral part is its one saving grace. Luckily our flight left from near there, so I had time to go in there and enjoy it.

The rest is diabolical.

CPH explains Carlsberg Special Brew, or perhaps Carlsberg Special Brew explains CPH.
A million great ideas...
Mark 15 Mar 19, 02:25Post
Just sitting here watching the water pour into the basement from the rapidly melting snow and rain. Shop Vac at the ready. Waiting for the first sound of a red wing blackbird.... the true indicator that spring has arrived.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 Mar 19, 17:51Post
mhodgson wrote:Had a friend pass through there earlier today, he said much the same thing - loads of mall but no seating.

I didn't get all the way to the end this time, but last time there was a coffee table with some really comfy chairs right at the end of the nice part, pretty much where you can see the metal plant pot at the bottom of the glass in Stefan's photo. The view is of some crash barriers and a road, but almost nobody goes there, and those that do are passing through on their way to the low-numbered A gates (domestic terminal, I think). I'm fairly sure most people going from those gates clear security down there too, so foot traffic is minimal. And it's far enough away from the madness that most people won't stumble across it.

So if you're looking for somewhere for a quiet snooze, or just somewhere out of the madness of CPH, that might be worth checking out. (The "quiet room" isn't. The "silent room" isn't either.)
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 19, 09:37Post
I don't know CPH at all, but he was flying with EZY - to get to their gate they had to go through passport control into a much smaller area - allegedly four flights departing and about 10 seats.

He did find the Danish equivalent of Greggs though so he was slightly mollified!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 18 Mar 19, 17:35Post
Really quick, for those of you unfamiliar (you lucky people you) for with eHarmony, the service allows you to contact matches in three ways: smile, icebreaker questions (premade questions, recipient chooses answers), or good ol' fashioned direct message.

That said, I like the icebreaker method as it gets the ball rolling on communication, especially with women that haven't fully filled out the rather extensive eHarmony profile.

Is it too much to ask that when I send a woman questions (and she answers them), to send me questions of her own? Not sending me questions of her own tells me that the woman is interested enough in me to answer mine, but not interested enough to dig a bit deeper into me.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Mar 19, 17:44Post
Either she's not really serious or she's rejected you out of hand for some shallow reason. Either way, bullet dodged.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!