You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

What's Wrong With This Picture?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Apr 09, 12:00Post

Anything stick out?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Apr 09, 12:35Post
Other than the Duck-tape repair job? :shock:
A million great ideas...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 18 Apr 09, 12:47Post
It is actually "Speed" tape. it is an aluminized foil with an adhesive backing. The operator is wondering why the FAA grounded them.

They are also asking why it cannot be fixed in a day.

These things are fabricated from 350F/177C composite materials (Aramid, carbon fiber and fiberglass). The interior surfaces get soaked with grease, oil and hydraulic fluid (http://www.skydrol.com/pages/) and decontaminationg can take more than 24 hours...

Needles to say, they prefer to wait until I can get there on Wednesday, than demounting it and sending it to us...

Go figure.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
PA110 (Founding Member) 19 Apr 09, 18:12Post
What exactly are we looking at here? My guess it is the underside of the fairing that extends aft of the engine mount on a 737 (series 300 and higher).
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 09, 18:16Post
Pax or cargo aircraft?
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 09, 19:47Post
Zak wrote:Pax or cargo aircraft?

Passenger

Viva Aerobus - Mexico
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 09, 19:51Post
miamiair wrote:Passenger
Viva Aerobus - Mexico

Aren't they partially owned by Ryanair?
Anyway, I shall keep that in mind if I'll ever fly to CUN...
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
Airfoilsguy (Founding Member) 20 Apr 09, 18:09Post
Speed tape is the ducktape of the air industry. The stuff is like aluminum foil with superglue on one side. When I worked in airfoils I used to use it to calibrate the airflow machine with the master airfoils. Once the stuff goes on it is hell to get back off.

The BA Source