You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Austrian Flight Robbed in Tirana

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Apr 19, 13:55Post
It sounds like a movie scene: Austrian Airlines flight OS848 has been robbed in the Albanian capital Tirana yesterday (9 April).

Armed robbers showed up on the tarmac just when a security vehicle was about to load €10m in cash into the cargo hold.

The passengers had already boarded the aircraft (OE-LBY, A320).

When the robbers fled the airport from arriving police, a shootout developed, during which one of the robbers was killed. The rest got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Flight OS848, bound for VIE, left TIA with a delay of only 3 hours, which seems to be surprisingly little, given the situation that had unfolded around the aircraft.

Source: https://www.euronews.com/2019/04/10/alb ... na-airport
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Apr 19, 19:33Post
Zak wrote:It sounds like a movie scene

Armed robberies usually do, perhaps because movie scenes are moments of heightened drama.

There was a similar armed robbery at BLK in (I think) 1996. Emerald were loading the Scottish currency from a typical Blackpool weekend to be returned North of the border* when a gang cut through the fence and held the crew at gunpoint before making off with a whole pallet of used Scottish notes. There was a quite dramatic chase heading Eastwards out of town that saw the robbers throw a pile of the cash out of their van at a major junction, causing a traffic jam that allowed them to get away. I've tried to find an account of this online but it was a few years too early and all I can find is a facebook post describing the incident.

*Pounds Sterling are issued by several banks, not just the Bank of England. The two Scottish notes, RBS & Clydesdale, are still legal tender in England but are not generally in circulation so, being a large tourist town that caters for a lot of Scots, Blackpool has been shipping currency back up North for decades.
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Apr 19, 20:59Post
JLAmber wrote:There was a similar armed robbery at BLK in (I think) 1996.

That was not related to your old sig, no? IIRC, that was something like "20 years, and they still haven't found out..." {mischief}
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Apr 19, 22:22Post
Zak wrote:
JLAmber wrote:There was a similar armed robbery at BLK in (I think) 1996.

That was not related to your old sig, no? IIRC, that was something like "20 years, and they still haven't found out..." {mischief}

{laugh} I was elsewhere at the time your honour {angel}

True story: Other than the Pictish currency heist, it was a very strange day. We discovered our house had a hidden room unmentioned in the deeds (far less interesting than it sounds), the neighbours' Doberman ate a burglar's thigh, and we got very drunk and booked a 3 week holiday in the Dominican Republic leaving the next morning at 05:50 (and made it on time).

Due to this thread, I've managed to locate an old friend who worked at Emerald and has confirmed that most of the details are factually accurate, with the one exception being that it was a Jersey European SH360 covering for a (somewhat unsurprisingly) busted Emerald HS-748.

The 90's were fun times. I can understand why people now feel so bored that they hold up Austrian A320s and drag otherwise unremarkable threads back on topic with their final sentence.
A million great ideas...