You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

The Never Ending BER Thread

All about Airlines and Airliners.
 

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 06 Mar 17, 14:17Post
First thing's first, let's vote us a pay raise and two weeks paid off. {thumbsup}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!
 
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 06 Mar 17, 15:46Post
Let the good times roll.

This will never open, at least not in our lifetime.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 06 Mar 17, 16:06Post
Now that a local politician has been chosen as new CEO, the chairman of the board will have to step down, as that happens to be Berlin's mayor Müller.

As he is (on the state level) the boss of new CEO Lütke Daldrup, he cannot serve as chief controller for a private corporation with his state subordinate in the CEO position. Especially since the state holds a major stake in said corporation.

What a banana republic this has become. Maybe I really should launch a separatist group in Hamburg. I reserved the domain http://www.hanseparatisten.de quite a while ago already. {mischief}
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 06 Mar 17, 16:33Post
I was thinking a while ago, how much more dense/stupid can these people be? The drop the bar to new depths.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 08 Mar 17, 22:14Post
Bad news from BER (and this one's really good :)) ):

The opening may be delayed beyond 2020. And for once, it's not the planners or construction engineers.

German "Spiegel Online" reports that a severe lack of ATC staff might cause the new delay. Many air traffic controllers had agreed to postpone their retirement, in order to help establish airspace structures and approach procedures for the new airport, and to train fresh young controllers.

Alas, no airport = no traffic = no airspace structures = no approach procedures = no training = no new controllers.

And the retirement extension contract with the old timers terminates in 2018. Training new controllers will take 3 years, so if the operation procedures have not been established until the end of 2018, an opening would not be possible before 2020 earliest, because of the subsequent lack of air traffic controllers.

However, this would only be a problem if the airport was actually fit to be opened before 2021, so I guess it's not really an issue. {mischief}

Still - Lucas, maybe there's an overseas career opportunity for you. :))

But there's also good news from BER: the new CEO has a masterplan!

Well, not a masterplan for opening the airport. But a masterplan for developing a schedule for a masterplan for opening the airport. "In summer", he wants to publish a definite schedule.

Journalists familiar with the project immediately noticed that he was not specific about a year, though. Also, given our notriously lousy weather, I fully expect a statement in October that no opening schedule could be determined because we had no real summer. :))
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 09 Mar 17, 18:34Post
At this point, wouldn't it be easier to just bulldoze the whole thing and start over? ;)
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Mar 17, 18:48Post
halls120 wrote:At this point, wouldn't it be easier to just bulldoze the whole thing and start over? ;)

It's already known that this thing is going to be at capacity as soon as it opens (assuming we don't master teleportation before then). If I were in charge, I'd already have started building terminal 2 across the apron.

There's highway access close enough, the railway runs under that side, and it'd provide an excellent platform for pointing and jeering at the still-not-open-yet T1. OK, so there's the small matter of a brand new control tower in the way, but it's not like anyone's using it anyway {mischief}

Find an existing modern terminal, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. And get whoever built that to build the copy, with a contract that makes them responsible for any overruns past the cost of the original. And anyone found with brown envelopes, even empty, gets hanged from the rafters. {guns}
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 19 Jul 17, 07:46Post
Ryanair to Berlin: "Build another airport!"

I've only got a German source for this one: http://www.manager-magazin.de/unternehm ... 58626.html

Essentially, Ryanair demands to keep TXL open, finally get BER running, and then build a 3rd airport, because even the other 2 won't cut it.
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Jul 17, 15:53Post
Zak wrote:Essentially, Ryanair demands to keep TXL open, finally get BER running, and then build a 3rd airport, because even the other 2 won't cut it.


Ryanair have noticed what was obvious some years ago. In the early days of this thread there are links to articles stating that the new airport would be at maximum capacity almost immediately. Anyone would think abandoning the project some year ago and starting afresh with a suitable design would have been the right move....
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 07 Aug 17, 12:22Post
The reason for the BER chaos is clear now:

Image

ISIS claims responsibility for the construction plans. {laugh}
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
bhmbaglock 07 Aug 17, 13:57Post
Zak wrote:The reason for the BER chaos is clear now:

Image

ISIS claims responsibility for the construction plans. {laugh}


Diabolical!
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 26 Oct 17, 15:58Post
What's the latest? Flew through SXF today and BER looks mostly ready from the outside!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
HT-ETNW 26 Oct 17, 17:09Post
mhodgson wrote:What's the latest? Flew through SXF today and BER looks mostly ready from the outside!

Just a Potyomkin village.

Current estimations for an opening are in years 2019 or 2020.
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 26 Oct 17, 18:19Post
FWIW:


There were lights flashing on air bridges which looked to me like they were testing them which is why I thought opening might have been closer!

Currently the taxi to SXF rivals AMS and CDG for length as everything is using the southern runway. Ryanair must be thrilled!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 Oct 17, 18:28Post
mhodgson wrote:There were lights flashing on air bridges

They probably can't turn them off...
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Oct 17, 18:54Post
HT-ETNW wrote:Current estimations for an opening are in years 2019 or 2020.
-HT


And by then it'll already be too small.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
CentrelinePhoto 26 Oct 17, 19:27Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
mhodgson wrote:There were lights flashing on air bridges

They probably can't turn them off...

Many a true word is spoken in jest. They were flashing when I was there six weeks ago.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 26 Oct 17, 19:34Post
Fair enough!

Not sure SXF has the life left in it to last two years; it's functional but a terrible passenger experience.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Oct 17, 20:07Post
GQfluffy wrote:
HT-ETNW wrote:Current estimations for an opening are in years 2019 or 2020.
-HT


And by then it'll already be too small.


Strictly speaking, that's not true. Due to the planned operational ramp-up period it will be between 4 & 6 weeks after opening before the airport is over-capacity {facepalm}
A million great ideas...
fiatstilojtd 16 Nov 17, 13:34Post
I was seriously thinking just last week which Airport will open up sooner ?

BER or Stepanakert Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepanakert_Airport
Non vitae sed scholae discimus
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 22 Nov 17, 20:22Post
Good news from BER: a major milestone has been reached! On 23 Nov 2017, the opening has been delayed by 2,000 days. Certainly a record for the ages.

But worry not, the BER planners are still on a roll. Berlin newspaper "Der Tagesspiegel" reports that there may be a teeny tiny problem, leading to another teeny tiny delay on the way to the grand opening.

Technical certification agency "TÜV" took a look at the fire suppression system (yes, THAT fire suppression system). And... well... it's still dysfunctional. The inspectors spoke of "systemic problems" that may take some time to address. (I'll take Broken Records for 500, Alex)

In 3 weeks, the current BER director plans to announce the exact 2018 opening date.

Rumour has it, that 2018 date will be "around 2021".

BER - the gift that keeps giving.
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Nov 17, 20:28Post
Zak wrote:Good news from BER: a major milestone has been reached! On 23 Nov 2017, the opening has been delayed by 2,000 days. Certainly a record for the ages.


Seems like a good time to remind everyone of the most amusing shot in the DB:



{facepalm}
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 22 Nov 17, 20:37Post
He won't be welcoming that president. I somehow doubt he'll be welcoming the current one, either.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 25 Nov 17, 22:18Post
BER CEO Lütke Daldrup fired CTO Marks, says in an interview: "We will now put a stronger focus on the completion of the airport".

Dafuq did you focus on so far? {crazy}
Yes, the new EU copyright directive is that stupid.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Nov 17, 00:59Post
Zak wrote:Bad news from BER (and this one's really good :)) ):

The opening may be delayed beyond 2020. And for once, it's not the planners or construction engineers.

German "Spiegel Online" reports that a severe lack of ATC staff might cause the new delay. Many air traffic controllers had agreed to postpone their retirement, in order to help establish airspace structures and approach procedures for the new airport, and to train fresh young controllers.

Alas, no airport = no traffic = no airspace structures = no approach procedures = no training = no new controllers.

And the retirement extension contract with the old timers terminates in 2018. Training new controllers will take 3 years, so if the operation procedures have not been established until the end of 2018, an opening would not be possible before 2020 earliest, because of the subsequent lack of air traffic controllers.

However, this would only be a problem if the airport was actually fit to be opened before 2021, so I guess it's not really an issue. {mischief}

Still - Lucas, maybe there's an overseas career opportunity for you. :))

But there's also good news from BER: the new CEO has a masterplan!

Well, not a masterplan for opening the airport. But a masterplan for developing a schedule for a masterplan for opening the airport. "In summer", he wants to publish a definite schedule.

Journalists familiar with the project immediately noticed that he was not specific about a year, though. Also, given our notriously lousy weather, I fully expect a statement in October that no opening schedule could be determined because we had no real summer. :))


European girls are quite lovely. Sign me up!

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!
 
 

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

LEFT

RIGHT
CONTENT