You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Bombardier Potentially Selling CRJ Line

All about Airlines and Airliners.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Jun 19, 10:51Post
... To Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. Surprise(ish) news this morning:

https://theaircurrent.com/industry-stra ... j-program/

Though the deal is far from done it now looks likely that Bombardier will leave the commercial aviation market altogether, leaving only the Learjet, Challenger and Global business jets as Bombardier-branded aircraft.

The Dash-8 line was sold on Monday to the Longview Group through their Viking Air operation (the company responsible for reviving the twotter) who will continue production and development of the type under its original De Havilland Canada name:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... 8-sale-to/

In both instances the deals are strongly rumoured to include supplier contracts that will see Bombardier retained as the primary sub-contractor.
A million great ideas...

Amazon.com

First Class members don't see ads. Upgrade!

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 05 Jun 19, 11:05Post
Boy, I'd hate to be a database editor right about now {mischief}

I hope the new owners can do something to revive the Dash-8. So galling to see ATRs all over the place when the Dash is just so much more pleasant to be in and doesn't take an extra half an hour on a 50-minute hop.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Jun 19, 11:35Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Boy, I'd hate to be a database editor right about now {mischief}

Shouldn't be too difficult. Viking's current products and the transferred Dash-8 line will be rebranded as 'De Havilland Aircraft of Canada', setting them apart from previous incarnations. I can get a definitive answer on the cutoff point once the logistics of the new owners moving in are finalised. They've bought the buildings and equipment and leased the land on which it sits, so will just move in and pick up where Bombardier left off.

ShanwickOceanic wrote:I hope the new owners can do something to revive the Dash-8. So galling to see ATRs all over the place when the Dash is just so much more pleasant to be in and doesn't take an extra half an hour on a 50-minute hop.

Speaking to a former Bombardier guy yesterday, a critical part of the negotiations was that all research for the Q400X and re-engining of the smaller -200 & -300 types was included in the deal. It seems the new owners are eager to fire a shot or two across ATR's bow. The new group will have a large contingent brought in from Viking who have a reputation for aggressive marketing, so things could get interesting in the regional prop sector again.

Interestingly, the Dash-8 shares a lot of common ancestry with the DHC-5 Buffalo, an aircraft that is currently being revived by Viking Air. Considering the potential for such expansions and the Canadian government's financing of some of the asset transfers, I suspect this deal has been on the table for a lot longer than either party is likely to admit.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Jun 19, 21:07Post
JLAmber wrote:Interestingly, the Dash-8 shares a lot of common ancestry with the DHC-5 Buffalo, an aircraft that is currently being revived by Viking Air.

That's interesting. I can see a resemblance between -5 and -7, but had always assumed that the -8 was a clean-sheet design.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
For it is the number of a man; and its number is One hundred threescore and twelve.